MESSAGE FROM THE MAYOR
As we all are living and experiencing a year of turmoil, the covid-19 pandemic of 2020 has changed our lives, the way we do things and the direction and decisions we make for the future. A SAFE LIFESTYLE is the name of the game, and what better place to live than in small town Saskatchewan.
A safe lifestyle is the way of life here in the Town of Sturgis. What do I mean by that?
- Our greatest asset is the friendly residents of Sturgis, all 650 of them.
- Exceptional water quality and unlimited quantity. Our municipal water comes from the deep wells located in the glacial gravel deposits of the Assiniboine River valley aquifer, on the south side of town and within town limits. Protecting our Source Water Supply on town owned land is paramount for long-term sustainability, and offering residents long-term economic affordability.
- A clean environment:
- Sturgis Community Park combines natural outdoor camping, fishing, canoeing, washroom facilities, kid’s playground and outdoor kitchen facilities, all alongside the meandering Assiniboine River. Meditation for the mind and soul.
- Sports grounds and recreational facilities located in native grassland setting on the north side of town.
K to 12 school, arena, curling rink, museum and kid’s sprinkler park.
- Agriculture is the mainstay of the region.
- Forestry activities located in the Porcupine Provincial Forest, as well as excellent big game hunting and fishing in well stocked lakes.
- Paved roads. Back in 2006 the town undertook a Local Improvement Project and paved all the roads in town at a cost of $1.0 million.
- 2012 a major cleanout of the Primary Cell at the lagoon.
- State-of-the-art Community Hall complex. The town built a new hall in 2010 for $2.0 million.
- Excellent transportation infrastructure network:
- 12-month Primary Weight Highway #9 with major connections anywhere.
- CNR Main Line junction, Winnipeg to the Port of Churchill.
- CN Branch Line from Swan River, MB to Sturgis.
- Excellent telecommunications infrastructure SaskTel network.
- Remember – a safe lifestyle is an “Excellent Quality of Life” lifestyle.
The town was incorporated as a village in 1912 and as a town in 1950 and we have a long and rich history. Like all communities in rural Saskatchewan, many challenges have been faced and dealt with head on. Working together has always proved to be the right way to go – just look at our pioneers. The residents have always been willing to invest in themselves and their community, two recent examples being the paving project in 2006 and the community hall in 2010.
Sturgis is a Quality Caring Community – a designation earned by participating in a project with the Sunrise Health Region. Come and check us out, pay us a visit anytime. You are always welcome in Sturgis. Stay safe …
The Story of Sturgis
Sturgis history books are now on sale for only $25. Contact the town office @ (306)548-2108
History of a Prairie town